Thursday, September 1, 2011

Caffeine and Other Cardinal SIns


CAFFEINE AND OTHER CARDINAL SINS
BY ROSS BERMAN

I heard Run, and said why not.
American Dream: A skinny white mistress leaves me feeling all too pleasant. That's all I want. Just someone I can taste in my lungs, in my hair, my teeth, my lips; someone I can smell on the tips of my fingers.
I heard Run and said why not.
And I slept sound. 
I almost lost an eye to a Mexican block party.
I've been a good boy, I deserve control over how I feel.
Or whatever everyone else is having.
Purgatory: A clean bathroom floor on a bad night. Cold sweat, room spun and then some. Jesus freak still gets to ask questions. Feels like porcelain and smells like bile, peroxide.
And when my head swelled,
I heard Run and said why not.
And I was Lazarus.
Corned Beef Hash and Eggs go together better than Milk and Honey.
There's nothing like battery acid.
Tangy, pulse-racing, jet fuel acid.
Young And The Restless: Anything that should've died off years ago. Petroleum products, fossil fuels. A malt with two straws.
I carried a broken heart in a wounded knee for days.
I heard Run and said why not.
She threw herself at me and I yammered on.
Hydrate Naturally: Just because it's good for you, doesn't mean you know where it came from or that it tastes any good.
I kept walking until I could articulate properly,
up Lincoln, down Clark, down broadway
until the words were just right.
I blew out my knee.
I heard Run and said why not.
Light up.
Light up.

No comments:

Post a Comment